“BISSETT STATION”

1908-1934ELICK AND EMMA BISSETT HOMESTEADED 160 ACRES, 5 MILES UP

WAWONA-SUGAR PINE ROAD FROM OAKHURST. ELICK ERECTED A HOUSE, STABLES AND A SMALL STORE. THEY STABLED TEAMS THAT HAULED MACHINERY AND MATERIAL TO WAWONA AND THE SUGAR PINE MILL. HEARING THE TEAMS BELLS COMING UP THE GRADE, EMMA STARTED COOKING. THE MEAL WAS READY BY THE TIME THE TEAMS WERE FED AND BEDDED DOWN.

THE STORE REMAINED IN OPERATION UNTIL 1934 WHEN HIGHWAY 41 BYPASSED THEM. A CHIMNEY AND SEVERAL CEDAR TREES MARK THE SITE OF THE OLD HOMESTEAD.

DEDICATED JULY 20, 2002

BY

E CLAMPUS VITUS

CHAPTER 41-49

 

 

 

 

 

Located approx. 2 miles from the junction of Hwy 41 on Rd. 620 (just past the Bass Lake turnoff)

 

GPS locator:

N37° 22.028′

W119° 39.406′