BORDEN CHINESE CEMETERY
BORDEN CHINESE CEMETARY
This one-acre cemetery was created in 1872 by and for the 2,500
Chinese laborers, who were building the Central Pacific, later named
the Southern Pacific railroad south from Sacramento.
A tiny town, mostly tents was established beside the tracks and was
named Borden for Dr. Joseph Borden, a prominent settler in the Albania
colony which surrounded this area. Many of the men originally buried
here were, according to custom, later removed and reburied in their
home villages in China. Those who were not removed were either
unidentified or their home village was unknown. Many of these graves
An E Clampus Vitus plaque was originally dedicated here Oct. 10, 1966
Replaced and rededicated April 3, 1993 by Jim Savage 1852 and
Grub Gulch Chapter 41-49, E Clampus Vitus
To the right of this picture you can see the headstone of an unclaimed Chinese laborer. The brown structure on the top right of this picture is an Alter for prayer and sacrifices. The chinese temporarily buried their dead here until enough money was raised by their families to transport the remains home where they could finally rest in peace.
Located on Ave. 12 and Rd. 28 1/2, just west of the 99 freeway in Madera