DAIRYLAND SCHOOL

100 YEARS: SEPTEMBER 1915 - 2015

 

Prior to 1915 children who lived in the northern Munich /district of

Madera County had to ride the train to Chowchilla to receive their

education. To answer the need for a local school, Dairyland opened in

September 1915 in the DeSpain house. Plans were made by the school

trustees and the Dairyland ladies Improvement Club to build a two

room schoolhouse with a bell tower. Completes in 1916, this was

considered on of the finest schools in the valley thanks to it's large

grounds and park like setting of sycamore and eucalyptus trees.

Following Suit, four additional schools were built in the area: Alamo,

Ashview, Bethel and Central. Over the years all five schools merged to

create the Ashview, Dairyland school district one hundred years later

The original bell tower still proudly stands.

 

Dedicated in the Year 2015

E Clampus Vitus

Grub Gulch Chapter 41-49

GPS Coordinates:

Lat:  37° 1'5.42"N

Long: 120°18'46.75"W

 

12861 Avenue 18 1/2, Chowchilla, CA 93610