ECKER RANCH

EST. 1880

 

IT WAS DREAMS OF GOLD DUST IN HIS HEAD THAT BROUGHT

SYLVESTER ECKER TO COARSEGOLD IN THE 1870′S.

LAND WAS HOMESTEADED & TRADED FROM THE INDIANS FOR

$1 AN ACRE OR 10 COWS FOR 100 ACRES. TOTAL ACREAGE WAS

ESTIMATED AT ABOUT 4100 ACRES.

A VARIETY OF LIVESTOCK WAS RAISED BY ECKER, BUT MOST

NOTABLE WERE THE THOUSANDS OF HOGS THAT WERE RAISED

& DRIVEN BY FOOT TO TTHEIR DESTINY IN SAN FRANCISCO

TO THE CHINESE MARKET.

IN THE 1880′S A HOME BUILT OF LOCAL SUGAR PINE FOR

HIS WIFE AND SIX CHILDERN. A FAMILY CEMETERY

OVERLOOKED THIS HOME.

IN 1913 OTTO, SYLVESTER’S SON DONATED 2 ACRES OF THE LAND TO BUILD THE PICAYUNE SCHOOL.

J.B. OVERSTREET WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE REMAINING LAND

IN THE FAMILY FOREVER.

HE CALLS IT

“PARADISE.”

 

DEDICATED BY E CLAMPUS VITUS

GRUB GULCH CHAPTER 41-49

MARCH 8TH 2003

 

 

Located at the very end of Road 417 in Indian Lakes, Coarsegold.

GPS locator:

N37° 13.394′

W119° 39.966′