HIGHWAY 49 – THE GOLDEN CHAIN
This monument marks the Southern Terminus of Highway 49 which
passes through fifty-one cities, towns and settlements in
eleven counties in its three hundred and ten mile route
through some of the most scenic and mineral-rich areas
in all the land. From the Placer and Hydraulic mines of
the North to the hardrock southern mines, all may be seen
along this gold-rich lower slope of the Sierra. Stones
native to each of the eleven counties have been selected
by the Sierra Historic Sites Association and the Golden
Chain Council for the construction of this monument.
Jim Savage Chapter 1852
E Clampus Vitus
October 11, 1970
(Note: this monument was erected in Grub Gulch
territory prior to our Chapters founding).
Located on the corner of State Routes 41 and 49.