OLD FRENCH TRAIL

1878 – 1930

 

FRESNO FLATS (OAKHURST) WAS THE WESTERN END OF THE OLD FRENCH TRAIL

(FRESNO FLATS TRAIL). BUILT BY J.S. FRENCH, IT WAS 54 MILES LONG AND A

VITAL EAST-WEST ROUTE FOR SUPPLIES, MAIL, EQUIPMENT AND PIONEERS THROUGH THE SIERRA MOUNTAINS.

IT CONNECTED THE MINING CAMPS OF MAMMOTH CITY, MILL CITY, MINERAL PARK

AND PINE CITY WITH FRESNO FLATS. THE ONE WAY FARE WAS $15 PER PERSON

AND 20 LBS. FREE FREIGHT WAS 8¢ PER POUND.

AFTER THE MINES FAILED IN THE 1880′S THE TRAIL WAS USED AS THE ROUTE

FROM FRESNO FLATS TO MAMMOTH BY RANCHERS, SHEEP HERDERS, PROSPECTORS, AND THE US FOREST SERVICE UNTIL THE 1930′S

ALTHOUGH REMNENTS ARE ALL THAT REMAIN OF THE OLD FRENCH TRAIL, IT

MADE A BIG IMPACT ON THE GROWTH OF MADERA AND MONO COUNTIES.

 

DEDICATED SEPT. 19, 2004

BY

E. CLAMPUS VITUS CHAPTERS

GRUB GULCH NO. 41-49 & BODIE NO. 64

 

 

 

Located at the old Fresno Flats Townsite in Oakhurst

 

GPS Locator:

37°19’35.49″N

119°38’58.12″W