SOUTHERN PACIFIC RAILROAD – Before the townsite was created, the train stopped at Minturn and Chowchilla was known as McNears crossing. After it was founded the company moved the train station to a site just south of Robertson Blvd. Twenty passenger trains passed this station daily. When shipping by train
was no longer practiced, the station was moved to its present location where it is used as the VFW Hall Post #9896.
CHOWCHILLA PACIFIC RAILROAD – The thirteen mile Chowchilla Pacific Railroad was built by O.A. Robertson in 1913 & served the area for 40 years. Household belongings, farm stock and children were it’s primary cargo. Tha Hall Scott coach, also known as the Chowchilla Terrific, had a six-cylinder 150 horsepower engine and weighed 26,000 pounds.
Had the railroad been in operation today it would be considered on of the shortest operating lines in the nation.
MONUMENT BUILT & DEDICATED BY
E CLAMPUS VITUS
GRUB GULCH CHAPTER 41-49
AUGUST 16, 2003
Located just off of Robertson Blvd on 5th St. N. in front of the VFW Hall.