SIERRA SKY RANCH

 

ESTABLISHED IN 1875 BY WILLIAM GASH. SOLD TO HENRY J. CASTER IN 1891, SIERRA SKY RANCH WAS THE FIRST WORKING CATTLE RANCH IN THE AREA, SUPPLYING FOOD AND LODGING TO NEARBY LOGGING CAMPS AT SUGAR PINE AND SOQUEL. IN 1898 IT WAS THE LARGEST CATTLE RANCH IN CALIFORNIA WITH 7,000 ACRES, 4,000 HEAD OF CATTLE AND 200 RANCH HANDS. THE RANCH HOUSE WAS BUILT IN 1900. SOLD AGAIN IN 1917 TO GEO. BATTERSON (THEN KNOWN AS BATTERSON RANCH). THE LOCAL CDF STATION LOCATED ACROSS HWY 41 STILL BEARS THIS NAME.

PRIOR TO WWII, SIERRA SKY RANCH WAS USED FOR CONVALESCING T.B. PATIENTS. DURING WWII, IT BECAME A REST AND RELAXATION CENTER FOR U.S. SERVICEMEN. THE ARMY BUILT A LARGE MESS HALL THAT IS TODAYS STEAKHOUSE. FINALLY CONVERTED TO A GUEST RANCH IN 1946.

 

DEDICATED JUNE 4, 2005

BY

E CLAMPUS VITUS

GRUB GULCH CHAPTER 41-49

 

Located approx. 3/4 mile above the Bass Lake turnoff of Highway 41, north of Oakhurst. Monument is visible from the parking lot area for the Hotel.

 

GPS Coordinatates:

N37° 22.553′

W119° 37.515′