WASSAMA ROUNDHOUSE STATE MONUMENT

DATING PRIOR TO THE 1860′S, THE WASSAMA ROUNDHOUSE WAS RECONSTRUCTED

IN 1985 ON THE LOCATION OF THE PREVIOUS FOUR HOUSES. IN 1903, THE

THIRD ROUNDHOUSE WAS BUILT USING PORTIONS OF THE CENTER POLE FROM THE

TWO EARLIER HOUSES. THE ROUNDHOUSE SERVED AS THE FOCAL POINT OF

SPIRITUAL AND CEREMONIAL LIFE FOR MANY NATIVE CALIFORNIANS. THE

WASSAMA ROUNDHOUSE CONTINUES TO SERVE THIS PURPOSE.

CALIFORNIA REGISTERED HISTORICAL LANDMARK NO.1001

PLAQUE PLACED BY THE STATE DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION IN

COOPERATION WITH GRUB GULCH CHAPTER 41-49, E CLAMPUS VITUS, MAY 16, 1992.

 

Located at the junction of State Highway 49 and Road 628 in Ahwahnee

 

GPS locator:

37°22’10.10″N

119°43’32.96″W